Tuesday 20 May 2014

Bedford & Strand, central London drinks with a difference : LOCAL LOVES

“I know this great little place...”

I don’t know about you but I feel ultra cool when I get to say that. “I know this great little place....”. Well gang, I do indeed know a great little place so I thought I’d share!

I went for a drink with some pals last week to gossip about discuss newly acquired jobs, job changes and our career aspirations. We wanted somewhere fun and buzzy, but quiet enough to conduct our very important chats.  I knew just the place.

Hidden just of the Strand, Bedford & Strand is a secret Central London treasure. When you find yourself bobbing around Zone 1, surrounded by chain restaurants and crowded cocktail bars this is the ideal place to steal away to. The Guardian hits the nail on the head, describing it as "A neighbourhood bar in an area without a neighbourhood." Just skip down these inconspicuous stairs and leave the hustle and bustle of the city behind. 





Ideal for a date or catching up with friends, this dark wood and hops-covered bar is a Londoner’s heaven. Full enough to show its popularity but spacious enough to always find a cosy table or bar stool, this has been a fave of mine since I moved to the Big Smoke many moons ago. Many an evening has been spent propping up the bar, putting the world to rights and laughing uproariously. 




It’s known primarily for it’s cracking wine selection (which you can buy by the glass, carafe or bottle) but for me it’s the cider. I’m a big cider fan – not in a ‘lads, lads, lads’ way, but in a country pub garden kind of way – and Bedford & Strand serve one of my absolute faves called BolĂ©e d Armorique Cidre Brut. It is scrummy and slips down a little too easily....




And with cider you must of course have cheese. You can choose your own selection if you like but I left it up to the handsome barman to choose and he didn’t disappoint. Within minutes all that was left was de-brie....haha!



So there you have it folks - a blooming lovely bar in central London that takes you away from the madness for a little while...and into the comforting arms of cider and cheese! We had such a lovely evening and I know I'll be back again soon.

Have any of you ever been? How did you discover it? Do you have any similar places that you would recommend?

And, most importantly, please share any cheese jokes. Cheese jokes are ALWAYS funny.


xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment